Wednesday, January 18, 2017

AO 2017 (R2): Angelique Kerber fights hard to beat her compatriot Witthoeft

It was an all-German battle in the second round, where the defending champion prevailed at the end after two hours and 11 minutes 6-2 6-7 6-2. Kerber came after a difficult first round win and looked to be again in trouble, struggling with the rhythm and Witthoeft started strongly the match. "I'm trying to play more aggressive. Today, I was not finding my rhythm from the first ball."
From there, Angelique showed a part of tennis that helped her to climb on the top of the ranking to lead 6-2 2-0. Playing on one of the biggest tennis stages, Carina got the right motivation to find a way of coming back into the match and played some of her best tennis to force a decider.



Going into the distance, the upset was growing, as she broke the serve. But, for one reason the top seed has won two Grand Slams Titles in 2016 and that one showed up. Her ability to compose and run for hours helped to earn a spot in the third round winning the next 6 games of 7."But I know I can trust my legs and run for hours. When the other things are not working, I know I have to run for every ball." 

With this victory, she continues the route to defend the title and gets the best gift for her 29th birthday.
"I just remember celebrating my 18th birthday at home, and having a big party. Since then, I was always here. It's nice. I mean, I'm feeling here like home, so it's always great to be in Australia for my birthday. I think we will go for a nice dinner. I don't know yet where, but it will be nice."  

No comments:

Post a Comment